To get the most from their people, most companies would invest heavily in building their people’s skills so they can do their jobs well. While this is a good strategy, they need to realize that developing their people’s character is equally important. We believe it is character that will help people excel.
The abilities your people need is a combination of skills and character. If you help them grow in both areas, you will help them succeed in life. When they succeed, they will help you succeed in return.
This program is based on the Values Formation Program we created for a large fruit company based in Davao from 2008 to 2010. We modified the topic list to address the issues we face today. Here are the topics under this program:
The Value Of Work
The Importance of Submission
Living Within a Standard
The Diligent Will Rule
Excellence Drives Success
Right Use Of Freedom
The Power of Free Will
Persevering Through Trials
The Importance of Humility
Serve! And You Will Be Served
The program is designed to teach one topic per month. The participants are encouraged to discuss what they have learned in small groups and agree on how to apply their learnings.
1. The Value Of Work. What do you need to add to P100 worth of ingredients to produce P900 worth of profit when you sell it as a cake? Work! When you do not have money, what should you do to make a P500 daily salary? Find work! Only work can create real wealth.
2. The Importance Of Submission. Many young adults do not submit to authorities because they believe these people will limit their opportunities. These people do not realize that a submissive person protects himself from painful mistakes by taking advantage of the wisdom of those who have gone before them.
3. Living Within A Standard. People tend to challenge the norm and want to decide what is right from wrong for themselves. While this is okay when working for themselves, it is not good when working for an organization. They need to follow standards to advance their career and bring peace to their lives.
4. Overcoming Depression. A lot of people are suffering from depression today. Do you know that this problem is not unique to our times? The Bible tells many stories of people experiencing depression. But it explains why they get depressed and provides the answer to overcoming it?
5. Being Truthful. “Trust” is an essential asset in business! You will gain favor from people when they know you will not lie and when you keep your promises. When they do, doing business will become easier. Lying is not a small and simple sin. It will affect your future and even your profit.
6. The Diligent Will Rule. Most people believe that being intelligent or well educated will give them the edge they need in life. Do you know the book of Proverbs says you need something else to rule in life? It is not intelligence but diligence! Why is diligence important? And how can this trait be developed?
7. Excellence Leads To Success. To be successfully rich is an impractical goal because success is just a natural by-product of being excellent in what you do. And riches is a reward for your success. But excellence is not a trait but an attitude; everyone can acquire it.
8. Right Use Of Freedom. Freedom is important to people; some will even die for it. But the improper use of freedom can lead people to trouble instead of success. This lesson will teach you how to use freedom to your benefit while respecting the freedom of others.
9. Power Of Free Will. Free will is the greatest equalizer in life. You may be born poor, but if you decide to work hard, you will someday become rich. You may be born rich, but if you decide to be lazy, you will eventually become poor. Free will is a very powerful tool when used properly.
10. Persevering Through Trials. Trials will always be present in our lives. When people do not respond well, it may lead to depression. But trials are not necessarily bad; they bring many good things when we learn to respond correctly.
11. Importance Of Humility. Humility is the most important trait of a businessperson. It gives him the ability to learn from all his trials and mistakes, gain favor from the people, and invite the grace of God. But humility is not something natural to us; it must be developed.
12. Serve, and You Will Be Served! The most powerful life principle I learned says that if I want to rule over people, I must serve them by helping them succeed. People will naturally want to help me succeed in return if I do this.